The way to the cross was a journey Jesus had been through. Jesus told us in Scriptures “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.”
There is an intense battle going on. We know from scriptures that in the last days perilous times shall come. As we seek to follow Jesus Christ we will face a lot of oppositions. While Jesus was here on earth, He knew his destiny. He came as the lamb of God to give His life for the sins of us all. He also know that he would suffer for us.
Our Trials On The Way To The Cross
As Christ teaching stands out and brought convictions it also exposes the flaws of the religious leaders. A well known saying states that “the truth cause offense, but it is not sin.” The truth of Christ teaching offended many in authority so the enemies grew. Our cross is a daily journey with Jesus Christ in obedience to His teachings. The way to the cross is a tough journey where we will lose friends and associates because we must stand for the truth. Our belief system must be in alignment with God’s word, therefore it will bring offense to those who opposes the truth.
We Shall Be Set Apart Because Of The Cross
Once we deny ourselves and seek to follow Christ He knows best to set us apart for His glorious purpose. David said in Psalm 4: 3 “But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself” The set apart journey brings us into intimate knowledge with God and His agenda. This also can be a moment of testing by the devil when God allows it. Jesus after being baptized went forty day in the wilderness and the Bible says” to be tempted of the devil” (Matthew 4: 1 kjv) . Jesus was being set apart for the work of the ministry and the enemy came to tempt Him after His fasting ended.On our journey we will face temptation to prove our standings for Christ.
The Journey Of Jesus
A common gathering with Jesus and His disciples became a solemn one. He began to tell His disciples of His way to the cross.”The Son of man goeth as it is written of him; but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It had been good for that man if he had not been born” (Matthew 26: 24) This was an exposure that one in the midst would betray him.
On their way to Jerusalem Jesus took the twelve disciples and began to tell them “Saying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles”
Many will not understand the journey God is taking an individual through but all who come to Jesus must carry their cross. Peter didn’t understand why Jesus would speak of His own death so Peter began to rebuke Jesus (Matthew 16: 21- 24) Jesus had to then rebuke the devil because what Peter was saying. Peter was now operating in emotions and not conforming to the words Jesus said which is the will of the heavenly Father
What Does The Cross Represent
- Love– It is God’s perfect love that was on display when Christ in obedience to the father died for us.
- Forgiveness– Sin separate us from God. Through the shed blood of Christ we forgiven and redeemed
- Unity– We are now united with God the father because Jesus becomes the way to the father. He has united us into the family of God so we can be heirs and joint-heirs with Him.
- War– The enemy thought he had the upper hand in this battle when Jesus was on the cross. On the way to the cross the enemy was walking into defeat. Jesus completed man’s redemption and gave total victory
- Justice– Sin have bound mankind and our justification comes through the work of the cross. We are justified by faith and the accuser have no more say over us as justice is now served
The Gethsemane Journey
On the way to the cross Gethsemane became the place of the agonizing moment Jesus Christ faced. The horrific feeling of rejection became a sorrowful weight upon Him. Gethsemane became the place of the kiss of death. It exposes the heart and deed of the greedy. Knowing all this His sweat soaks the soil and the garden flowers as he prayed to the father.
Those who are willing to stand with us at our Gethsemane moment the spirit of slumber will fall upon them. Our prayers will feel like they are bouncing back from a brick wall. None of His disciples could pray with Jesus while He was going through that moment. Our Gethsemane is our moment where flesh can’t stand with us. There will be those who will slumber when no sleep can come to our eyes. It is our journey as we take up our cross and follow Christ
Doing The Father’s Will
Doing the father’s will is total denial of the flesh. Jesus was stripped and beaten and became physically weak. He had to carry a heavy wooden cross up the hill where he will soon after take His last breath. As a lamb to the slaughter he went. Knowing that death have no dominion over him he took on himself the curse and the shame.
As we carry our cross daily let our focus be on Jesus and His way to the cross so we can overcome in our trials. To glorify Jesus Christ we must do the father’s will.
What Does The Cross Bring
- Redemption – Christ blood brought redemption so our sins can be washed away
- Love – The law dictates our sins and shows the consequence. Jesus Christ completed the law by taking our punishment
- Death – The power of sin died and man can come boldly to the savior. Our sins were nailed to the cross.
- Life – A new life is given to all who believe. We a given a hope of eternal peace and joy with Christ
- Grace – Our condemnation is renounced and we call experience the power and love of God through this unmerited favor
The Way To The Cross In Conclusion
The way to the cross is a birth pain that bring joy in it’s deliver moment. It is a journey of sorrow but it will definitely brings joy.
This journey will certainly bring us into spiritual maturity. We will be empowered from the level of a student to become a teacher.
Our lives will become authentic because we will carry our testimonies which will speak for us
The cross begins with love and end with love.