Everyone in society have been influence by something or someone. It is said that the eyes are the windows to the world. We are influenced by what we see so it is important for us as humans to be trained or directed to weed out the bad influences we have engrafted. The Bible said train up a child in the way the he should go and in the end he will not depart from it. Home training is often spoken about because it is the first school of influence for a child coming into this world. We are trained how to be respectful to adults, how to say good morning, good evening, thank you and no thank you. These training should take us throughout the journey of life.
As we develop there are task or roles we must take on, so as to be productive individuals in society. Majority of adults spend most of their hour in the workplace. The workplace is an environment of different characters where people from different background work together and express themselves according to their development. If someone should observe a work environment and see that majority of the workers are productive and responsive at their given task and show great customer relations with their clients then we would be quick to believe that these workers have been influenced by some type of training.
Christians are called to be the light of the world, Matthew 5: 14 “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid” and especially in this dark world we are expected to shine. As Christians we are expected to display Christ like character and this take submission to the Holy Spirit and the word of God.
The Christian’s Expectation:
- We are expected to be disciplined by conducting our lives to please Jesus Christ
- We are expected to practice tolerance The Bible says in 1 Peter 2: 18 “Servants be subject to your masters with all fear, not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward” If the boss or supervisor in the workplace is treating us bad we must treat them just as how we would do to a kind and caring boss or supervisor. We have to know how to deny our flesh and tolerate those that treat us bad including fellow co-workers because our life and conduct are the Bible that they will read. I remember some years ago a supervisor I had was giving me a hard time. Once a female come to me for assistance he would have something carnal to say. For a long while I tolerated this until one night at work I got tired and couldn’t wait to get home to talk with God. When I got home and as I got down and started praying I heard 1 Peter 3: 15-17 I stop the prayer a little after and decided to read the scripture. I was shock because right there God was speaking to me through the scripture about what was going on and that gave me peace knowing that God was in control. The scripture was so fitting because at that moment I was being accused of looking friend with a girl I don’t even know her name. When I was talking with her I found out that she is from the Bahamas I told her that sometimes I would listen to the radio station ZNS AM 1540 on the AM Band and I would listen some preaching and on the early morning the gospel programs. She told me that there was a new Gospel station that just began I told her if it is on the FM band I wont be able to pick it up like that because of my location. Talking to her I realized that she wasn’t save but she only listen to gospel music. I asked her how is it she only listen to gospel music not being save knowing there are christian who struggle to stop listening secular music. I was encouraging her to give her life to the Lord and there I realized that this was not the conversation she wanted and at the same time my supervisor was walking pass on the other side of the building and saw me talking with her and later started his accusation and mockery. I tried and didn’t win her to Christ and at the same time being accused of looking friend with this young lady. When the Holy Spirit revealed that scripture to me that night it made a great difference. My prayer was answered through the scriptures
- We are expected to please the Lord Colossians 3: 23 states “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartly, as to the Lord, and not into men” As servant of the living God we are expected to please our master Jesus Christ who have gave us his examples in the holy scriptures to follow. As we read and apply God’s word to our lives we are better able to please God in all or doings in the workplace. Paul a spiritual leader to Timothy in his encouragement to him had made known his observation of Timothy in 2 Timothy 3: 15 “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus”. The fear of God in us will enable to want to please God. This leads me to the other point of Wisdom
- We are expected to be wise. The Bible says “the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom” As Christians we will be tested so we have to be able to apply wisdom. The Bible also tell us in Matthew 10: 16 “Behold I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves” Therefore we should not be quarreling and be defensive or operate as the Adamic nature would dictate but rather exercise peace and self control.
- We are expected to have our conversation with pureness. We are always under the microscope as Christians most times not for the good but to see what can be used to accuse us. The accuser of the brethren has influence the minds of many to operate with the intention of seeking to find dirt on the children of God. We are reminded in 1 Peter 1: 15 “But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation” We must keep or hearts clean because the what is within our hearts that is what the mouth speak. Hebrew 13: 5 Let your conversation be without covetousness and be content with such things as ye have; for he hath said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee” Here we see that within the work place our conversation can be tested to see if covetousness is within us so we must discipline ourselves. Isaiah 50:4 “The Lord hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him hat is weary”. Our conversation need to be a blessing to others in the workplace. We must be trusted to talk to and give words of encouragement and support that will lift someone.
- We are expected to reflect the life of Christ. As christians our behavior, response to others and how we carry ourselves in the workplace must reflect righteousness. Our dressing must reflect righteousness, moderation, self-respect and not increasing the appetite of lust or attention seeking. We must practice good fidelity showing that we can be trusted as children of God reflecting the life of Christ.
As Christians our conduct in the workplace should based on the instructional manual of life, the Bible so the enemy won’t get an upper hand. The word of God is spirit and life so as we read and practice it we will get better at walking in the spirit. When we are able to walk in the spirit then we are known to have an excellent spirit like Daniel, Joseph, and the three Hebrew Boys in the Bible who were promoted as they stand to please God. They conducted themselves in the fear of God and gained respected recognition in the work place. Let us as Christians rise to the challenges and endeavor do what pleases Christ as He is the one who will grant favor and rewards us.